Privacy Notice

This privacy notice relates to the personal data processed by the Office of Michael Shanks, Member of Parliament for Rutherglen and Hamilton West, in relation to casework and policy queries. 

Who is the Data Controller? 

The Data Controller is Michael Shanks, Member of Parliament for Rutherglen and Hamilton West. 

What does the office do? 

The office discharges the duties and functions of an elected Member of Parliament.  As part of this work, we conduct constituency casework and respond to policy queries, for which we must process personal data of our constituents. We also conduct surveys and hold mailing lists for newsletters and other local updates. 

How do we process data? 

This office processes constituents’ data under the lawful basis of public task.  In instances where this lawful basis is not sufficient and explicit consent is required, a member of the office will contact you to establish your consent.   

We are committed to ensuring that the information we collect, and use is appropriate for this purpose and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy. 

What sort of data do you store? 

If you contact me regarding an inquiry, a local concern, or a complaint, I will normally need to store your contact details to deal with your inquiry, concern, or complaint, and to keep you updated about this. This is considered to be “normal category data” under the GDPR. 

Other personal data you may provide to me may include details about your personal and family life, social circumstances and business activities, your employment and education details, financial information or information about your housing situation etc. Depending on what views, issues or experiences you wish to discuss with me, you may be sharing “special category” data with me. For example, this could include details about race or ethnic origin, political or religious views, or physical or mental health. 

If you are a supplier, I will normally need to store your name, contact and payment details for the purposes of the contract between us.  

Will we share your data with anyone else? 

If you have contacted me about a personal or policy issue, we may pass your personal data on to a third-party in the course of dealing with you, for example, local authorities, government agencies, and other public bodies.  Any third parties that we may share your data with are obliged to keep your details securely, and to use them only for the basis upon which they were originally intended.  

We will not share the personal information of members of any mailing list or those in receipt of my newsletters. 

In any case, we will not use your data in a way that goes beyond your reasonable expectations in contacting us. 

For how long will you keep my personal data? 

Casework and policy queries are often revisited to provide the best service and representation for constituents, from whom we may continue to receive correspondence. Unless specifically requested by you, my office will hold your personal data for the duration of my time a Member of Parliament. Following an election, if unsuccessful, or if I stand down from Parliament, all records will be destroyed.  If there is still ongoing work in relation to your case, we will ask your permission to pass this to the next MP. 

What rights do I have to my personal data? 

At any point while we are in possession of or processing your personal data, you, the data subject, have the following rights: 

  • Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. 
  • Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete 
  • Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records. 
  • Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing. 
  • Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation. 
  • Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing, such as direct marketing. 
  • Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling. 
  • Right to judicial review:  if our office refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason why.  You have the right to complain. 

How can I contact somebody about my privacy? 

You can get in touch with our office by letter, email or telephone using the details at the foot of this page.   

Please note that we will ask for identification (passport, driving license, utility bill from the last 3 months) should you choose to exercise any of the above rights in relation to personal data we hold. 


In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by this office, or how your complaint has been handled, you have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the Information Commissioner’s Office.  You can find details of how to make a complaint here:  

Michael Shanks MP 
Member of Parliament for Rutherglen and Hamilton West 
House of Commons 

Constituency office: 

Aspire Business Centre 

16 Farmeloan Road 

Rutherglen G73 1DL 


Telephone: 0141 319 8998 

Scroll to Top